Knowing what to eat will not only affect your waistline but can also play a significant role in the health of your gum line as well. Since tooth decay and gum disease can be caused by what you eat, take the time to look at your own diet and make the necessary changes to ensure that you have a healthy smile. Here are some helpful tips for healthy eating:
– Saliva is one of the most important processes for keeping your mouth healthy. Keep the saliva flowing in your mouth. Chewing sugarless gum after meals have been shown to be effective at preventing cavities.
– For a snack, or as part of a meal, enjoy foods that contain water, especially food that are crunchy. These products can rinse away bacteria and food residue more easily and help keep your teeth clean.
– Snacking between meals can increase your chances for tooth decay.
– Foods low in sugar and carbohydrates tend to be safer for your teeth, as sugars can be converted into harmful acids that eat through tooth enamel.
– Foods and drinks high in phosphorus and calcium have been proven to strengthen tooth enamel, including meats, cheeses, nuts, and many types of milk.
Unhealthy smiles can be treated with the help of the team at Robert W Marder DMD, PLLC. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Robert Marder at our office in New City, New York, please contact us at 212-265-8291. The wait is over, come get your perfect smile today!