Although daily brushing and flossing are important to maintaining your dental health, professional cleanings and exams from a dentist are essential to a good oral hygiene routine. Dentists and dental hygienists have the experience and training necessary to remove stubborn plaque and calculus (hardened plaque, also known as tartar) and detect any potential problems in your mouth. As part of your six-month cleaning and exam, Dr. Robert Marder and our hygienists will:
- Take and review your dental digital X-rays
- Evaluate your mouth for signs of periodontal (gum) disease and tooth decay
- Examine current restorations (crowns, fillings, etc.) for effectiveness
- Perform an oral cancer screening
- Remove plaque and calculus
- Polish your teeth to remove any leftover plaque and surface stains
Depending on the state of your smile, our dentist may recommend visiting our offices for a dental exam and teeth cleaning in New City, New York, every three, four, or six months. These preventive appointments are crucial to helping you remain in optimal oral health and to preventing future oral health problems like tooth decay and gum disease. To learn more about our gentle cleanings and thorough examinations, please call or visit one of our offices today.